Wednesday, June 10, 2009

One Day in Feburary

One day in February of 1995, my breakthrough to healing came. Before that day, in December of 1994, my husband Malcolm, who suffered from Multiple Sclerosis for several years, had been hospitalized for three weeks with the worst attack he'd ever had. While in the hospital he contracted blood poisoning and almost lost his life. During the hospitalization, I tried to keep my life and the lives of our three young children "normal" even though it was far from normal. I kept my tears and my pain to myself, putting on a "strong" front. But inside I was fallling apart. Malcolm was released from the hospital in early January and needed a lot of after care. I buckled down and did what I needed to do to help him. Then the day came when my emotions began to move closer to the surface, like a volcano near to eruption, until I lost all control and wanted to die. I landed in a psychiatric hospital. That was the day my real life opened up and I was able to see how wounded I was. Though what happened to me was called a "breakdown", I label it now my breakthrough into the light of healing. I had many layers to go through to find the root cause of all that lead up to this. I also had to go back to the day I was born to understand how I got to this point. These were not easy tasks, nor did they take a short amount of time. True, deep emotional healing is not a quick fix, to be sure. But now as I live out of a healthy soul, I sing God's praises and say it was worth every minute.
"The Lord your God is with you, He is mighty to save. He will take great delight in you, He will quiet you with His love, He will rejoice over you with singing." Zephaniah 3:17.

No comments: