Friday, January 22, 2010

Flying Over the Edge

At the first small group meeting in Living Waters, I had a picture to share. I was standing on the ledge of a cliff, looking out over the vast emptiness of space. I was contemplating whether to jump and trust that I would fly or go back and never find out. What did this mean? I was faced with taking my writing to another level and I was full of fear. I feared rejection of me and the things I had written. I had little confidence that anyone would like the writings. Yet something was pulling me away from my comfort zone and begging me to soar. After a few months I was ready to jump and trust God to hold me up and make me soar. I could picture myself flying, soaring into a place where no fear could paralyze me.This was years ago and I now have a book published that folks have bought and enjoyed. I'm teaching a workshop and facilitating a writer's group. But the soaring has not ended with this. I am destined for greatness, according to my Father. He has called me higher. Doubts poke at me. I question the value of my writings and if I'm doing a good job with workshop and group. Malcolm and I also lead a cell group. I'm definitely in a new place now and it's scary sometimes. But there is no fear in the Kingdom of God so I cannot live in it and serve God. I go back to where I started, my eyes on Jesus and my heart in His Word. He tells me that "they who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles;" Isaiah 40. He has eradicated that fear and given me wings!
My confidence rests securely deep in the heart of my Savior. I have no other strength.

No comments: